Thursday, April 21, 2011

New development

Hi everyone who reads this (if anyone reads this!) - - -

I have begun several different series of tests to determine why I have been having miscarriages. Two weeks after the D&C, the tissue was grown in a lab and showed that there were no genetic abnormalities with the tissues. This basically means no down syndrome issues or other genetic malfunctions. Next, 6 viles of blood were taken from me and 2 from Chris. We have yet to receive some of the panel of bloodwork back but as soon as we hear back - I'll keep everyone posted. I had a procedure done on Tuesday known as a Water Ultrasound. A catheter was placed into my uterus and a routin ultrasound was performed by a nurse. They found that I had a fist sized uterine polyp. Polyps in the uterine lining are not cancerous or even pre-cancerous. I will have surgery (a lot like the D&C) in a couple of weeks to have it removed. The doctor asked that I continue to use birth control methods until 1 menstrual cycle after the surgery - then we can try to conceive again. Chris and I are still in discuss of what we want to do...not exactly sure.

Here is some more info on polyps:

A polyp is an overgrowth of tissue in the lining (endometrium) of the uterus. The concept is similar to that of a skin tag - basically normal tissue, but growing in an abnormal formation.
Many polyps are very small (a few millimeters in diameter) and do not represent a compromise to reproductive capabilities. However, large polyps - or multiple polyps - can interfere with reproduction by causing infertility, or by increasing risks for miscarriage.

No comments: