Monday, April 11, 2011

Nursing

Completely unrelated topic to what the blog is about...but its a blog - and I feel like writing. Yesterday I attended the wedding of my two good friends Steve and Jenn. While sitting at our corner table with a few of our dancing friends we started to talk about school and jobs. Jenn is an RN who absolutely loves her job and is damn good at it I'm sure. She is one of the reasons I chose to go into nursing - she is definitely an inspiration! Two other people at the table, Chris who is in his 40's and Tracy who is in her late 20's are also nurses. They both attended Goodwin College as well (the school I will be attending). Tracy was talking about how VERY expensive it was to attend school there and Chris was talking about how Goodwin may lose their accreditation due to the lack of nursing students passing their exams. How AWFUL would it be if I completed all of my courses then they lost accreditation?! I wouldn't be able to find a job and I would be stuck with hellish student loans. This has definitely got me second guessing a lot of things. I think I will call or e-mail the college counselors tomorrow to see if they honestly believe this will go into affect. I have about 2 weeks to drop all of my courses and get a refund of my loan (I hope) so I need to find out soon. I could always look into attending other colleges that are further away from me but will remain accredited. This is definitely a HUGE commitment and I don't want to leave Chris and I in heavy debt - especially since I am no longer working. A lot to consider in a short amount of time.

I know with me no longer working I can make school a priority. I'm nervous about going back, of course, but I have the motivation to do very well in the classes and I am definitely a lot more mature and head strong than I was when I was in college the first time around.

Hopefully I can work all of this out in the next week - I hope I can remain at Goodwin and their accreditation  will remain. This is definitely going to give me a stress ulcer...

No comments: